Sunday, February 24, 2008

Coveted Cookies…

After many years of not having his mom’s famous sugar cookies, Gail decided, yesterday, that he was going to bake these cookies. Gail has never made these cookies. His mom does not have a written recipe; it is in her head. We asked her, a long time ago, to give us this recipe. She said that she didn’t have one but would try to give us approximate measurements of the ingredients because she goes by the feel of the dough to know how much flour to use. I took this “approximate recipe”, also a long time ago, and tried making these cookies - they turned out hard as bricks. Not good.

Yesterday Gail decided that he was hungry for these cookies, hungry enough to make them himself. He gathered all the ingredients, and then called his mom for play-by-play instructions. He thought that he could tell when the dough was ready since he had a lot of experience when he was young eating the dough. I laughed at this, but I do believe he did know when the dough was just right.

Here are some pictures of this adventure:


Success!

Now, he is officially the sugar cookie baker in our family.

Just thought I’d share some lighthearted fun in these days of serious news around the world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can taste them now!! Yum!! : ) Hopefully there will be one left for me when I come home at Easter...

Denise said...

We put a couple in the freezer for you. :) Mindy called Dad and said that she was making them too, but was having problems with the recipe. I guess it takes a lot more flour than Gma said. So Dad and Mindy compared notes and agreed on how flour to use next time. Mindy also called Gma for help. She told Mindy that she will have a sugar cookie baking lesson when they come home. It was a fun weekend for all the cookie bakers.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Thank you!! I can't wait to taste them. : ) That's fun that Mindy was comparing notes with dad....I guess it was a fun weekend for all!!

KGMom said...

OK--your photos show TWO cookies. Just two--I hope the recipe makes more than two cookies.
Are these PA Dutch style sugar cookies? If so, they are Carlin's favs too.
Weird--how did we two sisters do this? Hmmm? You know what I mean.

KGMom said...

Oh--I forgot that I did note that Gail is on the phone in several of the photos. Whew--a recipe to be talked through.

Denise said...

Donna - he was on the phone because his Mother did not have a "real" recipe. She just throws it together and then adds enough flour until it "feels right". How do you know when it feels right? Except, Gail remembered eating the dough and had a pretty good idea when he got to that point. I don't know if they are like PA style sugar cookies but I would guess maybe so. They are very good! They are a lot of work so I told Gail he can make them from now on because he really did do a great job! :)

Anonymous said...

I just looked at your blog, wow I'm proud of Gail, I know thats hard cause I've tryed to make your mom's cookies and thats not an easy task, but looks like they turned out good.

Climenheise said...

Baking from a recipe in your head? I cook that way, but never thought you could bake that way. Can we import sugar cookies to Canada? We could become the Manitoba franchise, and Gail could have a new career!

Anonymous said...

Хорошая статья. Действительно было интересно почитать. Не часто такое и встречается та.Наверное стоит подписаться на ваше RSS